Apple Announces New iPhone 3GS, iPhone OS 3.0
AppChatter.com is not a rumor site by any means, and so for the past several months we’ve had to sit back and bite our tongue as every other Apple oriented blog out there took it upon themselves to report every single rumor possible about the upcoming iPhone. Well, today was reconciliation day for all as Apple laid out the new iPhone firmware and of course, the new iPhone 3G S.
- Two new iPhone models: 16GB iPhone 3G S ($199) and 32GB iPhone 3G S ($299)
- In addition to the two new iPhone models Apple will continue to sell the original iPhone 3G 8GB for $99.00
- Some are reporting that the “S” designation on the new iPhones is for “Speed.”
- New iPhones will be available on June 19th. That’s June 19th.
- Updated features on the 3G S iPhones include:
- Significantly improved battery life: 9 hours on wifi, 10 hours watching video, 30 hours of audio playback, 12 hours of 2G talk time, and 5 hours of 3G talk time.
- Support for Nike+
- Built in digital compass.
- Voice control and voice dialing.
- Control iTunes via voice commands.
- Voice commands float around in the background on the screen.
- New camera with 3.2MP, auto focus, auto exposure, auto white balance.
- Tap on the screen to focus on that part of the picture.
- Improved low light sensitivity.
- Macro capability.
- Captures video (woot!).
- Video at 30 frames per second in VGA resolution, also auto-light and auto-focus.
- iPhone 3G S is roughly 2X faster overall from iPhone 3G.
Along with the new iPhone 3G S comes a new software update for all iPhone ownsers. We previously reported about the new firmware when it was seeded to iPhone developers and now here is the final word on it:
- New iPhone OS 3.0 firmware will be available world wide on June 17th.
- Copy/Paste and Undo supported across all apps.
- MMS is now available (ATT will not support MMS until later this summer).
- Spotlight is being added to iPhone OS 3.0.
- Rent and purchase movies right on the iPhone.
- Improved parental controls.
- Data tethering via USB or Bluetooth for both MAC or PC (only 22 carriers in 42 countries, no word on ATT).
- Autofill usernames/passwords in Safari.
- New feature: “Find my iPhone” available only to MobileMe subscribers.
- A new remote wipe command that you can remotely wipe the contents off the iPhone.
- Send a message from land line or online to trigger remote wipe.
- App subscription support.
- Push notifications for developers.
- Much more.
- iPhone OS 3.0 is free for all current iPhone users (2G and 3G) and is $9.95 for iPod Touch owners.
So to sum it up: new iPhone OS 3.0 is available on June 17th and the new iPhone 3G S will be available on June 19th. Mark your calendars and schedule your vacation days (as I turn to my “other” job to do just that). We’ll be bringing you the iPhone 3G S full pics and coverage on the 19th once we’ve been down to the Apple store to get one. Stay tuned!