App Review: Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor by Tiger Style Games
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor is the first game introduced by Tiger Style Games. You are a spider and you have discovered an old, abandoned manor. Starting from the outside of the manor, you start to explore, spinning webs to catch bugs for food along the way. As you catch food you get silk to spin more webs and get points. You can share your scores on Facebook Connect as well to show off to all of your friends.
Spider is an ingenious game with intriguing game play. Once I started, I was sucked into the game and I couldn’t put it down, despite it being way past my bedtime! Your job, as the spider is to catch as many bugs as you can and discover the secrets of Bryce Manor. Since you are a spider, you have spider like abilities which, when you first discover them, are very cool and draw you in more.
Controlling the spider is easy. Simply touch on the screen, next to the spider in the direction you want to crawl. If you want to jump to another wall or object, simply swipe the spider in the direction you want to go.When you come across some bugs that you would like to eat, tap the spider and he will attach a strand of silk to the spot where he is standing. Then, swipe in the direction you’d like to go, and a trail of silk will be left behind. Once you spin a line of silk to enclose and area it will be automatically filled with a web. If any bugs fly through the area, they will be caught in the web. Once caught, they are ready to be eaten.
You clear levels by catching and eating bugs all the bugs in the level. Bugs follow a repetitive path. So as you progress in the game, you will need to spin many webs to catch all of the bugs in a level. Once you have captured the prerequisite number of bugs for a level, the portal appears. The appearance of the portal does not necessarily mean that you have completed the level. it only gives you the option to move on. Stepping into the portal takes you to the next level. Until then, keep exploring and catching bugs by spinning webs.
The most interesting aspect of Spider is that when the app starts, you are put directly into the game to play. Since you are left to discover on your own, your natural instinct is to start touching the screen. As you play, helper screens pop up to help you in learning the game and how to control the spider. It’s an intriguing experience and one that draws you into the game, allowing you to discover pieces of game play before getting the explanation from the system. I liked the approach a lot since I rarely read instructions anyway. This approach to helping the player out as they self-discover the game is perfect.
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor by Tiger Style Games is an intriguing and brilliant game witch excellent game play. It will suck you in as you discover Bryce Manor and find bugs to catch in your webs. I recommend Spider to anyone that likes adventure or discovery games as it is one of the better ones we’ve played.
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor Tips:
- In order to spin a web and catch bugs, you must enclose a geometric shape on all sides. I often found myself making a triangle using the wall or some other object as one of the sides. This does not generate a web. However, you can use part of another web to complete your shape.
- Spider silk has a limit to how far it can go. If you jump too far from the point where you attached the silk, the line will break.
- In some levels there are surfaces that the spider cannot walk on or attach web to. Watch out or you could get stuck down the drain.
- You can earn bonus points for eating lots of bugs from your webs in a row. To increase your bonuses, jump from web to web eating bugs without touching the floor. Touching the floor resets the scoring multiplier.
- Some bugs like hornets must be tackled out of the air. Webs will not catch them.
- Part of your job is to discover the secrets of Bryce Manor. Secrets are usually hidden in dark places that cannot be seen until you crawl into them. To find them, you must be thorough in your exploration of each room.