AC #9: iPhone Leaks & Controversy
Thoughts on the upcoming iPhone 4 hardware, as well as on the controversy surrounding its leak. Also, a review of one of the most expensive games in the app store, Chaos Rings. Jeff joins the show as a new host, and he, Erik and Lou cover even more news and reviews on this week’s AppChatter podcast!
Gizmodo is running a story today about the new 4th generation iPhone. Apparently, it was found in a bar Giz paid the big bucks to get a hands-on with it. They’ve got scores of pictures and videos of the new device which shows that it takes on a new industrial design. They’ve also opened it up to reveal some of the innards. The key features are:
- Front-facing video chat camera
- Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
- Camera flash
- Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
- Improved display. It’s unclear if it’s the 960×640 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the “Connect to iTunes” screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
- What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
- Split buttons for volume
- Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic
Other differences include:
- The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
- An aluminum border going completely around the outside
- Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
- Everything is more squared off
- 3 grams heavier
- 16% Larger battery
- Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery
Typically we don’t post rumors here on App Chatter, but this one does seem pretty legit. So head on over to Giz and checkout the pics and videos, you’ll be impressed.