One of our favorite shooter games for the iPhone has been Minigore by Chillingo so we had to try it out for the iPad. Having played the iPhone version for many hours we were happy to see that the iPad version did not disappoint me. This dual joystick shooter’s translation onto the bigger screen is superb as it suits the platform very well. Read more
Minigore by Chillingo Ltd. is a 3D survival shooter game featuring a small little fellow by the name of John Gore. John finds himself in the middle of nowhere, but he is not alone. Strange little creatures called furries are all around him. Unfortunately, the furries have extremely sharp teeth and would like nothing better than to feast on him. You play the part of John Gore and must defend yourself from the furries or they will get you.
The controls for this game are unique and ingenious. They operate like two joysticks; one controls your movements and the other the direction in which you shoot. Each joystick is represented on the screen by a circle that follows your finger movements within a larger circle. Each time you touch the firing joystick, your gun fires in the direction that you press it. You have unlimited ammo to shoot the furries, so don’t worry about wasting it. Because of this two joystick system, you can shoot in one direction while running in another; a must to survive a game of Minigore. This dual joystick approach to movement and gun control offers great flexibility in the game but also takes a little getting used to. However, once you have the controls down they are actually superbly done.
The graphics in Minigore are also pretty amazing. You have a limited amount of space to wander in. The landscape is dotted with 3 dimensional rocks, shrubs, and trees. Be careful of spending much time around these areas of the screen. Sometimes you can lose John in the forest or get a surprise attack from furries you never even saw approaching.
As you kill furries, they sometimes leave a four-leaf clover or other prize behind. If you collect 3 four-leaf clovers, you can turn yourself into a monster that can destroy the attacking furries. You can also get upgrades to your weapon. There are 4 different types of furries to encounter. At first, all you meet are little mini furries that are easily killed. Then, they begint to get bigger. These larger furries break into smaller and smaller furries as you shoot them. The hardest ones to kill, though, are the fiery furries. Mostly, this is because they can easily outrun you. You have to get them quickly.
Once you get a good handle on the game, you can shock the online leaderboards with your high scores. Minigore is equipped with Open Feint. You can also enable the expert mode. I found that the regular mode was quite challenging, in and of itself. Overall, Minigore is a fun game with amazing graphics and great controls that will keep you busy for hours. I wouldn’t change anything except for making the playing field bigger.
- If you’re not yet used to the dual joystick controls (one for movement and the other for shooting), you need to practice and get used to them. This takes just a bit of practice but once you have it down the controls are excellent (this game wouldn’t be nearly as good if it wasn’t implemented with dual joystick controls.
- To fend off the Furries you are better off staying to open, well-lit areas of the playing field. Wandering behind trees and other objects makes it difficult to detect when an attach is occuring.
- The Furries have sharp teeth. The Furries have SHARP teeth. You die quickly if you let the Furries bite you, so don’t let them get close to you at all. Run and keep shooting.
- Beware of the Furries that attack you from the bottom of the screen. Since they are looking away from you (but towards John Gore, your character), you can’t see their faces and they can be tricky to spot at first.
- Don’t try to outrun the fiery Furries. You can’t. Better aiming with your gun is your only defense here.
- You have unlimed ammo. So don’t be afraid to use it. Just keep shooting.
- Once you pickup three of the four-leaf clovers you turn into a monster yourself. At this point you cannot be killed by the Furries but the Furries die as soon as you touch them. So find them and kill them!
- The big Furries turn into many, littler Furries when you shoot them. Just keep shooting… although some running is likely required.
Developer’s Website: http://www.chillingo.com/